Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Kili Book Reviews, Part 3

Kilimanjaro - The Trekking Guide to Africa's Highest Mountain - 3rd Ed.
by Henry Stedman (January 2010)Kilimanjaro - a trekking guide to Africa's highest mountain, 3rd: (includes Mt Meru and city guides to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Arusha, Moshi and Marangu) ... Trekking Guide to Africa's Highest Mountain) 
As I've mentioned before, I really liked Henry Stedman's Kilimanjaro. It had pretty much everything I wanted in a guidebook, written with a certain wit that made it informative and entertaining. I bought the 2nd edition right before I booked my trip. I prefer to have the latest edition (the 2nd came out in - eek! - Dec 2006) but I couldn't wait. 

The 3rd edition streeted on this side of the Atlantic about 3 weeks ago. In short, it is every bit as good as the 2nd, with lots of updated info on the park, trekking companies, hotels, etc. This remains a phenomenal guide. It is also the most recently updated of all the Kili books I could find. If you're going this year or next, this is a must-buy.

I e-mailed Stedman last December mentioning that the Swahili glossary was great, but how about a rudimentary pronunciation guide to go with it? He wrote back straight away (much to my surprise and delight) and he said he liked the idea, but the 3rd edition was just on its way to the publisher for printing. So sadly, my idea didn't make it to print this time. If he can slide it in the 4th edition - and I'm betting there will be one - it will be the best printed Kilimanjaro guidebook. 

Stedman's website is also very useful and worth checking out. It has some content straight from the book and space for updates between editions, so you can give it a look if you're on the fence about buying the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment