Thursday, October 8, 2009

Kili Book Reviews, Part I


Kilimanjaro: The Trekking Guide to Africa’s Highest Mountain by Henry Stedman

I ran around looking for a recent-edition book on Kilimanjaro before I even booked the trip. A freind who climbed Kili recommended this as one of several books to read.
(Sidebar: Hemingway's The Snows of Kilimanjaro made the "do not read" list.)

The book is in its 2nd edition (2006) but he has a companion website with updates, and the 3rd edition streets in late December. I was initially disappointed to be getting an "old" version, but it was a great read and very useful.

It's a very thorough book, as Henry has climed Kili using every available route. He also covers how to get there, places to stay, things you'll see, the history of Kili and the tribes who live around it ... I'm hard pressed to think of anything he's missed.

Well, a Swahili pronunciation guide would be nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment