Sunday, June 13, 2010

The "Hidden" Medical Costs of Kili

It didn't dawn on me until fairly recently that the medical costs of getting ready for Kili are substantial. It pales compared to the trek cost, the safari and even the cheapo coach airfare, nevertheless it was more than I expected. Especially when you have a high-deductible health plan.

The shots aren't necessarily cheap. Twinrix will probably run $300-400 by the time I'm done with it. Meningitis was $130. (And I still have a bruise from that one.) Oral typhoid was $90 (or $22.50/dose). If I had gotten it, yellow fever would've been $180. H1N1 flu was a bargain at $15.

The pills can be pricey too - and on my insurance I'm paying for these out of pocket. Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Diamox (acetazolamide) and Ambien (zolpidem) are available as generics (yaay!) and the most expensive of those was just over $30. Target practically gives away Cipro (just $4 for 18 pills). As for Malarone (atovaquone/proguanil) ... no generics there. $193.07 - and that's the one that doesn't make you crazy. At that price I'd take it even if I didn't really need to. Funny how the one I really hope I don't use is the cheapest.

So my travel-related preventative medical care will cost around $1000. Insurance is picking up a lot of it, since the shots are much cheaper than the disease. Nevertheless, international travel can cost more than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment