Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Renewing the Passport

My passport expires late this year, which was just on the edge of "must be valid for 6 months beyond your visit" most countries require. So, it was time to renew it.

The process seems a bit slower than it was in 2000. Back then I got it in 2 weeks, and that was standard service for a new passport. Now it took just a hair under 4 weeks for a renewal on "routine" service. The State Dept was estimating 4-6 weeks.

You can check the application status online, which is nice but not terribly informative. Anyone who has ever tracked a package through FedEx or UPS will find it lacking. All it told me was...

1. they received it (5-7 days after they physically get it ... and cash the check),
2. it's being processed, and
3. it's been mailed (with Priority Mail confirmation number)

I just saw the "it's in the mail" status this morning, so my snazzy new passport should be in my hands any day now. Now I've got to find a cover that will shield the RFID chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment